Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Meal Saver

I tried a new recipe for dinner the other night, which I was really excited about, and it ended up being just so-so.  I had high hopes that it would be lovely and nutritious and easy and something that I would revisit again and again.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great either.

And so, I needed a really good dessert.

It needed to be easy (because I'd already spent my time on a mediocre dinner) and it needed to be guaranteed to be good, because I'd already taken my chances earlier.  So, I decided to make the Barefoot Contessa Decadent Molten Chocolate Cake Mix.  I know -- they look really good, but they don't look that easy, right? 

They were so easy!  In case you don't believe me, I'm going to share with you that I was actually a little tipsy from the wine I had with dinner (and making dinner, and being disappointed by dinner) -- and I still made them without a problem.  Amazingly, they came out just like the picture on the front of the box (except I made 4.5 of them instead of 6 -- but mine were BIGGER which is most definitely better).  What was the most surprising was how light they were -- I thought they would be dense and heavy and rich with chocolate, almost like a flourless chocolate cake.  They are definitely chocolatey, but they were also quite light and heavenly.  They were more along the lines of what I always think chocolate souffle should taste like.  I split one with my dinner companion, but I totally could have eaten my own.  I topped it with a dollop of whipped cream, but a little ice cream on the warm cake would have been really good too.




They also save nicely, so you don't have to eat all six in one sitting.  I may have had one for breakfast the next day (and it was excellent with coffee).  Meme and I also split one at the shop that afternoon -- we nuked it in the microwave for about 20 seconds, added some whipped cream to the top and it helped us get through that late afternoon lethargy.

Thinking ahead to Valentine's Day, which is on a Sunday this year, this would be a super easy, but special Valentine's Day treat.  Any recipe suggestions for something lovely and nutritious and easy to make for dinner?

:)
--bb

No comments: